2010-12-19

It's easy to be poor.

At Penn station NYC I overheard part of a long conversation about politics between a man (M=man) and a woman (F=female). Mostly I heard the gentleman since his voice carried.
M>So you think it's good to let the rich off the hook?
..
M>I'm so disappointed with Pres. Obama's tax compromise. I want to pay more taxes! We need to support so many things.
F>You can pay more taxes any time you like.
...

The lady was not faring well in the argument, the best I could tell. So I took a gander at talking to him when it was convenient.
Me>Hi! I overheard you talking about politics. I think you haven't been phrasing the subject the right way. 
M>Oh?
Me>There is no right to take other people's money.
M>But they have more and they can afford it, and there are so many poor, especially right now!
Me>If you take too much of it they'll stop working. I have a friend right now who's saying if the taxes go up he'll just quit. He'll stop working.
M> Oh?
Me> Yes. It's easy to be poor: just stop working.
M> Well, that's true.
Me> Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment