2011-01-16

On Outsourcing, AKA: In NYC, routine tasks are an exciting adventure.

I was most pleased to have my fellow subway platform-pacer make my acquaintance once our car arrived and started moving.  Alas I was not able to have much of a talk because my stop was the first one. This conversation really made my day special. I’m sorry I may not meet him again!

TallDarkHandsomeCheerful> So, I was reading this article in Harvard Business Review [1]. 
me: Note to Self: I think I'll just keep my sunglasses on in case he is mixing me up with someone else and would end this fun conversation! 
TallDarkHandsomeCheerful> You know that argument that business makes? That outsourcing is good for profits and productivity because now better qualified people in Asia and India can do these jobs? Well, I was thinking, why not apply that logic to the corporate elite? Why not outsource top managment’s jobs also? What would they think of that? Shouldn’t we just take all their arguments and say yes to all of them just like that!?
me, giggling> Hey, that’s an argument in favor of low tariffs as well: if outsourcing is good then it’s good to lower the barrier to entry.
TallDarkHandsomeCheerful, smiling> And I just hate those arguments for outsourcing.
me> Well, you know actually, that argument is saying that you want to be in charge of other people’s decisions, and that’s wrong. After all, if I start a company and I make enough profit to hire you, then I can choose whether to keep hiring you or somebody else in India, right?
TallDarkHandsomeCheerful> Yes, but,
me> But the thing is that it’s the owner’s choice to decide who to hire. It’s not up to you to make the owner’s decisions.
me (I think I might not have finished this thought?)> And he is the source, he is the one that made up the business so of course you can’t outsource him.
TallDarkHandsomeCheerful> I disagree...
me> Oh, I'm sorry, I have to go, this is my stop!

[1] Possibly Mr. TallDarkHandsomeCheerful was referring to the following article.
3:00 PM Tuesday October 26, 2010   by Bruce Nussbaum |Comments (20)
Is What's Good for Corporate America Still Good For America?

No comments:

Post a Comment